If you’re looking for work in these tough times, the best place to start is online.
The employment environment is very competitive at the moment “so it’s important to list an ad that stands out from the rest and showcases all the necessary information your potential employer might need”.
Below are five simple steps to creating an effective Job Seeker ad
1. Pro photoAvoid uploading a casual image of yourself. If you don’t have a professional-looking picture, then get one taken (not a selfie!) standing against a solid colour wall, preferably a white one, while wearing suitable clothing.
2. Strong titleThe title is the first thing that potential employers will come across when browsing through the thousands of ads on the site. Make it catchy and informative to grab attention.
3. Attention to detailWhen completing your profile, include all relevant information – location, full name, a contact number and an email address. Treat the description section as a cover letter – write a short motivation as to why someone should employ you. Upload a clear image of your CV. Be sure to double check for spelling errors and grammar.
4. Rapid responseFrom the moment you post your ad be on alert to immediately respond to any inquiries. A swift response demonstrates your enthusiasm and attention to detail, a slow one could mean you miss the chance.
5. Check your socialBefore potential employers respond they might check you out on social media. Make sure your privacy settings are in place on every platform that you use and that anything accessible publicly shows you off in a good light.
Claire Cobbledick is the Head of Marketing for Gumtree SA.